Monday, August 5, 2013

Scheherazade, Paul Wing and the beginnings of literacy

"Hello boys and girls. This is Paul Wing and I'm here to tell you the story of_________________."

So began my love affair with words. Long before I even imagined that letters could make up words and written words could convey meaning, I heard the story of Aladdin, The Brave Tin Soldier, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, Seven at One Blow, The Little Engine That Could and many other childhood stories accompanied by fully orchestrated classical music. Imagine the richness of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_pkRH2DZuw will get you started) and the story of Aladdin intertwined, a carefully waxed linoleum floor and a gigantic radio/record player console to lean against with a blanket and you have a description of many contented hours of my childhood.


I hope I get to meet Paul Wing someday. His enthusiastic greeting and expressive voice were on countless vinyl records Mom bought for us with her Record of the Month membership. I almost feel that I know Mr. Wing--and surely he knows me! I was sitting right beside him when he read those stories over and over, each time exactly the same. My sister Suzanne and I could recite in perfect unison, "Happy here in this horrible hut? Huh! I should say not!" using Mr. Wing's exact intonation from the story of the Fisherman and his Wife. We have also both brought it up from our common memory when the occasion has warranted.

Though I don't remember our mom reading to us, Mom and Dad were both voracious readers up until their dying days. Their model as readers and Mom's investment in vinyl records made it easy to develop and enjoy the advantage of a rich vocabulary, familiarity with some fabulous music and life lessons from classic stories. What better way to begin life as a reader?





2 comments:

  1. Blessing of being #6 out of 7? I do remember mom reading to us. (I'm sure mom was changing my diapers instead of reading to you! Sorry!) Dale and I got The Hobbit and I think the Lord of the Rings, too, didn't we Dale? I'm sure there were more--enough to make me read to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Mom knew that hearing The Hobbit would have soured me on books for life. (Sorry Mary K)

    ReplyDelete