Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hopelessly Earthbound

Yesterday I either broke or sprained one of my poor old osteoporotic wrists and lost my glasses I was using as a headband when I fell on a slippery rock in a slot canyon. 

It was one of the best days of my life.

Do you like the pink shoes?
Ninety-degree day, cool water, high twisted sandstone canyon walls, challenging my body, soft air, red sand, good company, plenty of time and a million thrills--watching a water ouzel doing its little bobbing dance on a wet rock near the river, sliding down a 20 foot rock slide into a little pool, inhaling the nostalgic aromas of ponderosa, sage and willow along the river corridor, climbing up a couple of obstacles holding on to ropes and logs and ladders beside crashing waterfalls, and all this the day after sleeping under the stars for two nights watching the Perseid meteor shower after midnight. We ended the day with an impulsive drive to North Rim for dinner. Thankfully, our 9:00 was Arizona's 8:00 and it was the perfect time for a grilled portobello mushroom, lentils and rice. Despite three near-misses in the deer gauntlet of the Kaibab forest, our brakes and Jay's reflexes proved up to the challenge and we arrived safely back at the cabin. A day does not get much better than that.

When I carpooled to BYU from Davis County, I always chose a parking spot next to a tree or a rock. One of my companions in this year-long experience said, "Kathleen, you are hopelessly earthbound." I'll claim it. Push me out of the Garden of Eden.  I'll take a bite every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment