Thursday, July 17, 2014

Juntos



Juntos means "together" in Spanish and it is our motto for our mission. We have found assorted pieces of wire on our walks through the Fundo, just lying on the ground. We would pick up these scraps when we encountered them and eventually began searching for just the right O or S. Once we learned this word, we were on a hunt to complete it, with its initial heavy-gauge letter "J." We also have the word "love" spelled out with a perfect curly L from barbed wire, which was probably the letter that got us started on this treasure hunt. Both words are the sum of our wall decorations in our little home in Chile.

At one of our favorite family's houses, we were introduced to the word juntos as the couple described for us building their house together, with smiles of pride as they looked into each-others' eyes. It truly is a home--the words el hogar, which breathe hearth, fireside, warmth and welcome-- from the gate entrance posts that support an ancient wooden oxen yoke, to the newly enlarged kitchen with its wood-burning stove and plenty of room at the table for any and all who show up. This family and their home radiate togetherness.

I think we're getting better at this juntos thing, too. After nearly 50 years of marriage, and now being together almost constantly, I think we're getting closer to understanding it. Kahlil Gibran's words on marriage used to trouble me-- I wanted no "spaces in (our) togetherness," I wanted to "drink . . . from one cup." Now I think I understand the lines, "And stand together yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."

It means that we don't need to be embarrassed by each other's silliness, or mistakes, or foibles. "People get to be who they are." This includes those we married or gave birth to. How freeing! I'm not responsible, I'm not the judge; I get to be a spectator, giving them the space and the benefit of the doubt as I would a stranger--more even, because I know them intimately.

My leftover vegetables for breakfast (beets with salt today) and Jay's need for traditional breakfast fare can coexist happily. Jay's fluent Spanish and my teaching experience aren't competing and complement each other perfectly on this mission divinely inspired just for us. His willingness to be the driver works with my "knitting madly to keep my eyes off the road" coping strategy; and he has learned not to take it personally when I ask him (yes, scream) to slow down! We can read scriptures from both English and Spanish: the same verses at the same time, trading roles; sometimes me in Spanish, sometimes him, and get more out of it than we ever did alone.

My goal in being a principal was to learn what I needed to learn. My goal on my mission is to become what I can become. With God's help, and with Jay's--juntos--I am trying.

1 comment: