Sunday, July 13, 2014

Al-righty then!

After trying to post many times and finally resorting to FaceBook, I'm back to see if time and being ignored has worked its magic on this blog site. If yes, I'll be back. If no, not many minutes wasted.

Well, well, well. I think this is going to work. I love Day One as a journal, not so much for a blog. I don't want my business being THAT public, and know only die-hard friends will ever check this blog.

Lots to catch up on if this were that sort of a blog, which it isn't. What it is, I'm not quite sure, but today I want to think about my progress in the Spanish language.

At times I think I'm getting better; and then someone tries to tell me something and I smile and nod (no-nos when you really have no idea) and you hear one say to the other, "She didn't understand a thing." Well, I understood THAT, thank you very much.

I am putting phrases together. Something like, "How many days ....to visit....your father....in Santiago..to finish?" Or, "At what time is the .....World.....toy....today?" Then, it's time for the Chileano to say, "I don't understand." I try again, "At what hour is the....football...." "Oh! Partido! A las quatro---at four o'clock." They say the last part in English.

Well, I am here to teach English. Should I be pleased or discouraged?

 Yep, completo-style hamburgers: a thick layer of mayonnaise, another of mashed avocado and a layer of tomatoes: Whopper Italiano. It was a mistake, can I just say? Next time I spring for American, I'm going American. Maybe next July Fourth.

The Fourth of July was spent yarn shopping with these two beautiful women: Hada and Sarah. I thought it was Ada until I saw her ID card. H is silent in Spanish. It reminds me of the British fellow in our tour group in Peru, who said his name was "Buuuh." Spelled B-e-r-t. I guess if you say your name is Buuh, your name is Buuh, and if you say your name is Ada spelled Hada, that's the way it is. Alrighty then.

1 comment: